Friday, August 17, 2018

GISS July global up 0.01°C from June.

The GISS land/ocean temperature anomaly rose 0.01°C last month. The July anomaly average was 0.78°C, up from June 0.77°C. The GISS report does not seem to be posted yet, or at least is not linked from their news page, but the gist is at Axios. It notes that it is the third warmest July in the record. The small rise contrasts with the downward TempLS, but the NCEP/NCAR index rose a little more. Satellite indices both rose considerably. The disagreement between GISS and TempLS is the opposite of last month, so little difference over two months.

The overall pattern was similar to that in TempLS. Very warm in Europe, extending to W Siberia and N Africa. .Also warm in N America, West coast and NE. Rather cold in Argentina and Arctic.

As usual here, I will compare the GISS and previous TempLS plots below the jump.


Here is GISS


And here is the TempLS spherical harmonics plot



This post is part of a series that has now run for six years. The GISS data completes the month cycle, and is compared with the TempLS result and map. GISS lists its reports here, and I post the monthly averages here.
The TempLS mesh data is reported here, and the recent history of monthly readings is here. Unadjusted GHCN is normally used, but if you click the TempLS button there, it will show data with adjusted, and also with different integration methods. There is an interactive graph using 1981-2010 base period here which you can use to show different periods, or compare with other indices. There is a general guide to TempLS here.

The reporting cycle starts with a report of the daily reanalysis index on about the 4th of the month. The next post is this, the TempLS report, usually about the 8th. Then when the GISS result comes out, usually about the 15th, I discuss it and compare with TempLS. The TempLS graph uses a spherical harmonics to the TempLS mesh residuals; the residuals are displayed more directly using a triangular grid in a better resolved WebGL plot here.

A list of earlier monthly reports of each series in date order is here:
  1. NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis report
  2. TempLS report
  3. GISS report and comparison with TempLS



8 comments:

  1. Nick, it looks as if your twitter account has been hacked. It keeps on tweeting links to mildly interesting videos (which are removed again after some time and thus often not visible on your account page).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Victor
      No, I didn't know, and I can't see the videos - I must have been blocked by whoever did it. I've put in a security login requirement -0 hope that will help.

      Delete
    2. That is interesting. Between my comment and now there was always a video "30 Hummingbirds Gather Together, Camera Catches Amazing Behavior That is Going Viral..." on the top of your profile page. It is still there.
      The last videos all went to boredpanda dot fun.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Victor
      I think I found the problem. Someone called Twitter Videos had been granted access to my account (not by me). I revoked that. I've changed passwords etc. I hope that fixes it.

      Delete
    4. It's typically an app that you have granted special access to. The app then took advantage of that access. Need to carefully decide whether to do this every time you get a pop-up. For example, I have do it on this blogspot account when I comment as @whut, but I trust blogger/blogspot because its part of google :/

      Delete
    5. Web,
      Yes. I noticed Steven Mosher seemed to have been similarly affected, and when I clicked on one of the videos from boredpanda, it asked me to grant access to "Twitter Videos". But I don't think I had earlier done anything to grant access, but maybe it was disguised somehow.

      Anyway, if anyone has the same problem, the URL
      https://twitter.com/settings/applications
      will show what access has been granted, and allow you to revoke.

      Delete
  2. Hi Nick just a note to say thanks for the effort here and elsewhere, always appreciated.
    Tony (Now RyanS as Rudi Zazov got the boot)

    ReplyDelete