This post follows three recent previous posts here about KMZ files for GHCN type datasets:
- Color - rural stations are green, urban yellow. Orange is a small town.
- Size. Big pins have >50 yrs data. 70% pins have >20 yrs, and 40% have less.
- Balloon - clicking on a station gives a balloon with several data items, including years of reporting.
You can find the files on the data repository. They are in a zip file KMLGHCNends.zip which you can download (scroll down). The individual files are:
- GHCN1900end.kmz, which has stations that dropped out of the database between 1991 and 2000
- GHCN2000end.kmz, which has stations that dropped out of the database between 2001 and 2007
- GHCN1900st.kmz, which has stations that were added between 1991 and 2000
- GHCN2000st.kmz, which has stations that were added between 2001 and 2007
Below the jump, I'll add some still pictures from GE.
Here are the US stations that were dropped from GHCN between 1991 and 2000:
Australia was very densely represented pre-1990, so many did not continue:
African stations in W Africa and S Africa were not continued:
Arctic losses were not large:
Europe lost a few stations, including a bunch of short-record ones in Yugoslavia
Between 2001 and 2007 the big change was US numbers - tied in with the interaction with USHCN, which GISS incorporates separately.